I’m an academic who primarily engages with socio-phenomenologically informed research on networked teamplay, esports & LANs.
My current research projects include:
- Esports in Australia
- Networked Sportspersonship (with Dr. Alessandro Canossa of Northeastern University, USA)
- High-performance play, live-streaming, public events and gender (with TL Taylor, MIT & Nicholas Taylor, NCSU)
- Transitioning play – esports careers
I am currently doing fieldwork for this last cited project at LANs such as Dreamhack (Jönköping, Sweden) and CouchWarriors/BAM8 (Melbourne, Australia).
During these events, I’ll be doing interviews with players/teams/administrators, with an eye on:
- Mid-tier player experiences of sportspersonship during play
- Non-textual experiences of play/performance
- ‘Teamness’, networked communities and recruitment
- Play/non-expert play with tactics/strategies
- Regular participation patterns
- Career esports players/coaches/shoutcasters
- Event management & volunteerism at LANs
If you are a mid-tier player who can speak to their experiences around team-play and participation with a tournament team, or event manager/volunteer, it would be great to hear about your engagements. Please catch me on email. All interviews which I conduct are confidential (everyone is pseudonymed/can choose their pseudonym – please see the consent form for more details).
We can talk face to face if you are a participant at Dreamhack Summer, live in Australia (Melbourne), or otherwise we can arrange an interview over Skype or email.
Thanks for taking an interest in the research.